Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lottie Ann's 1st Birthday

She has the sweetest face!


Lottie Ann came into my life last July just as CJ, my beloved animal companion of 15 years, was leaving. My second Yorkie, Buddy at age 9, welcomed Lottie Ann and taught her about life as a Whelley. Then, in December, Buddy died suddenly from hemangiosarcoma, a blood cancer usually found in large dogs. Buddy always did think he was a big dog. I was heartbroken.

Lottie Ann was the saving grace during all that loss. Now, I am celebrating her first birthday with her and my heart is filled with gratitude. I often say to my friends that I feel sorry for people who do not have the joy of an animal companion. Lottie Ann has a healing way about her. She is still full of puppy energy, moves at the speed of light, and delights in everything. Unlike CJ and Buddy, she loves to play fetch with a rope or one of her squeaky toys and will do so until my arm gives out.

She sleeps with my son. She chases chipmunks. She barks at birds. She loves potato chips. She has the kind of eyes that when you look into them you know she is looking right back. When you talk to her, she understands. She is a great snuggler. If I take a nap on the couch, she curls up on my shoulder. Her fur is black, tan, and silver and is silky soft. One ear stands up and the other flops down. In other words, she's perfect.

Happy 1st Birthday Lottie Ann. Thank you for joining the family and for all the joy you bring!

Lottie, Bren, Buddy

She is NOT this calm.





3 comments:

  1. Aw, she's got one ear up and one down like my Maya! Happy Birthday, Lottie Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gazing into Niko's eyes tonight....savoring the moment. I have also started to call my Kalli girl Tasha on occasion. Tasha was my first Doberman thirty years ago. Oh the joy they give me!! Well said Jude!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gazing into Niko's eyes tonight savoring the moment. Dog years can creeps up on you. I catch myself calling my Kalli girl Tasha on occasion. Tasha was my first Doberman thirty years ago. They live in your heart like it was yesterday. Well said my dear friend Jude!

    ReplyDelete