Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice Sisters



In 2009 I held my first winter solstice gathering. The Winter Solstice marks the longest night of the year, from that date forward, there is a bit more light every day until the Summer Solstice in June. It was such a success that I have continued the practice of hosting my treasured friends for a ceremony and meal to celebrate the return of the light.

We begin by creating a sacred space, passing a light until all candles are lit. Each woman speaks in turn, naming what she wants to leave in the darkness and what she wants to embrace in the coming light. Each woman also chooses a word as her focus for the next year.  Part of the magic is how intently we all listen to one another, honoring that woman and her choices.
 









This year I provided Sharpies, markers, pastels, colored pencils, magazines for collage cut outs, letter stamps, and glitter glue to decorate package tags with the chosen word to use as book marks or to tie onto a gear shift or mirror. There were also round balls that could be decorated with the word and hung on the Christmas tree.




Both the tags and the balls were creatively done!


As in the past, the celebration concludes with a shared meal. This year's menu included antipasto, Joy Behar's lasagna, vegetarian acorn squash lasagna with walnut cream, three green salads and a delicious lemon cake. It was an evening of food for the body and food for the soul.


Winter Solstice is a time for contemplation and renewal. It's a time to appreciate friendships, open our hearts to the possible, and state our intentions for the year to come. I'm grateful to have these women in my life.



2 comments:

  1. Winter Solstice is a particularly important time for all of us folks in Alaska; it signifies the return of the sun! February has brought a gain of six minutes per day...we're getting there. I enjoy your inviting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Monica, glad you came to visit and I hope you return often. I have a deep desire to visit Alaska. I especially want to experience the northern lights. What a wondrous world we live in, so full of possibilities. In my part of Ohio, near the Indiana border, our summer days last until almost ten o'clock, bliss! I loved the old TV show Northern Exposure; where in Alaska do you live?

    ReplyDelete