Saturday, April 30, 2011

Tea Time




I drink tea. And I love High Tea. And I love wearing a hat. I know that in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales both men and women take time for tea but here a High Tea is most often a ladies' event. My friend Pam's daughter just announced her engagement and as she studied in England, High Tea seems an appropriate bridal shower theme. For the sake of research, Pam and I made a reservation for High Tea at Eleanor's Tea Cottage in Troy, Ohio.




This was a true High Tea, beginning with fruit, then scones with real cream and fresh jam, followed by a delicious chicken divan soup, then chicken salad, pimento cheese, and cucumber sandwiches, and finishing with lemon pie and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes topped with with crunchy little bird nests filled with tiny eggs.




A sweet little pansy topped the whipped cream


Three kinds of sandwiches


Charming little nest cake toppers


 Our hostess was gracious and skilled, allowing us time to enjoy each delicious course and feel completely pampered. It was a delight to pause, savor a friendship, and plan a shower for a lovely young woman.

About wearing a hat... My mother used to say, "Wear a hat, you'll feel better." I remember seeing a large group of women of a certain age all decked out in purple outfits and red hats at an Olive Garden restaurant. These ladies were talking and laughing and living out loud. They made me smile. They were, of course, members of a Red Hat Society inspired by the first two lines in the poem Warning by Jenny Joseph, "When I'm an old woman I shall wear purple with a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me." For my mother's 91st  birthday we had a tea party and asked the ladies to bring their favorite tea cup and to wear their best hat. There were some pretty extravagant hats because many of these gals attend the Kentucky Derby, a hat lovers' paradise. My mom wore a shocking pink, petaled hat that she designed and made herself. Now that I'm sixty maybe it's time to let my creativity loose on my hat selections. And when better than to debut a new hat than at a High Tea!



6 comments:

  1. I love hats, too. You two look great in them, and those tea-time treats look so good (wish I could pluck them off the screen and enjoy them while I catch up on my favorite blogs.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    They were indeed delicious! Today I had a white chocolate and dried cherry scone from a new bakery I've discovered. I've been reading Laura Child's Tea Shop mysteries and she always includes recipes at the end of each book. I copied a few to try the next time the baking urge strikes.

    I attended a Sunday afternoon wedding and the bride wore the most amazing hat instead of the traditional veil. It was a small white piece on the front of her head with a feather and small net veil... very 40's! She was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. I loved the hats. I have a bright red one I could have worn if I had been invited. And by the way, I'm enjoying my butterfly bag that you so graciously gave me. Thanks for sharing your joy. Your smile is as delicious as the tea cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, l'm glad to hear you have a little something from me to accompany you on your travels. Maybe at some point you'll journey through Ohio and we'll go for tea!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experience. We have had high tea at church following Evensong a few times, but I've never had such a pampered tea experience. I must do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joyce, do treat yourself to this. It's a lovely experience. I'm so proud of you and your studies. You are going to accomplish great things! Maybe a nice tea to celebrate soon!

      Delete